Frequently Asked Questions
How do we get a copy of our association indentures?
 Sometimes you are provided with a copy of the indentures by the title company when you purchase your home. If not, you can usually ask your trustee for a copy. You can also go to your county recorder of deeds and request an official copy (there is usually a charge of $2.00 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page). Our office can provide you with a copy for $15.00.

Is my association fee tax deductible as a real estate tax?
Unfortunately - No. Your association fee is not considered a real estate tax and therefore is not deductible as an itemized deduction. Consult with your tax advisor is you have a business with an office in the home as it may be partially deductible as a business expense.

Why do we have to pay assessments to our association?
When you purchase your home you also purchase an ownership interest in all of the common areas owned by the association (common ground, park areas, entrance monuments, etc). As an owner, you have a legal responsibility to maintain these areas. Your association collects assessments from all owners to pay these costs.
Can my assessments be increased without my vote?
Most association indentures allow the elected trustees to set the assessments at any amount that they deem necessary to cover expenses. If you are concerned about this issue our best advise is for you to attend your association meetings to discuss the proposed budgets.
Is liability insurance required for my association?
Most indentures require the association to carry insurance but even if your indentures do not, it would be very unwise for you not to have liability insurance. If someone was injured on association property and won a judgment against the association, all of the homeowners may find that they are liable.
What is D&O insurance?
Directors & Officers (D&O) insurance is to protect the trustees of your association from lawsuits. It does not protect them from illegal or fraudulent acts but is designed to protect them for acts they perform in good faith in their capacity as trustees. Many indentures do not require this insurance but it may be difficult to find people who want to act as trustees without it.
Neighborhood Policing & Neighborhood Watch
Use the following link to obtain more information on the St Louis County Neighborhood Policing program. https://www.stlouisco.com/LawandPublicSafety/PoliceDepartment/nbrplc.html.